Easy Class and EZ Leash

My excuses for not blogging for over a week (long time for me) is that it was the last week of school for the kids, plus I had a show last weekend, going right into my younger daughter getting her wisdom teeth pulled. I think those are pretty good excuses, right? Hopefully, you concur.

cabana sitting by two white plastic chairs, dog bowl on the ground, her leash clipped to an o-ring on the wallCabana continues to be her wonderful self. Here she is at our class at the humane society last week. We were early, and I needed to go to the bathroom (TMI?)--so I clipped her leash to the o-ring and decided to take a quick photo on my way out of the room. She seems to be looking at me like, "What the heck, Mom? Where are you going, and why are you leaving me here?" She doesn't have separation anxiety, so she just sat there calmly--but I do think she was wondering.

We have our next class later this morning. I really like the class, although I think it is way too easy for Cabana. I debated between taking Family Dog I and Family Dog II. The person on the phone encouraged me to take FDI, so that's what we signed up for. I have learned some new things in the class, but a good portion of it is review--things like sit, down, wait, watch me, and find it. There are still 3 more classes left, so I hope it gets a bit more challenging. Who knows, if I had gone straight to FDII, I might have felt lost and discouraged.

cabana sitting on pavement in front of a mosaic mural of an eagle, raccoon, cat, dog, deer, and horse, animals in a line going from smallest to largestHere's Cabana outside the humane society, in front of their beautiful mosaic mural. Cabana is wearing an EZ Head Halter and Leash. The Guide Dogs for the Blind trainer that lives in our neighborhood lent me one of these for Cabana, and I really liked it. Although it's very similar to the head collar, I love the fact that there is absolutely no pressure or tightness around the top of her head UNLESS she's pulling. The nose portion is always supposed to be quite loose, either on the regular head collar or this EZ Halter.

I also like how soft and silky the EZ Halter is. It's a tubular jersey webbing, instead of the usual nylon or polypropylene. It doesn't leave a telltale mark around the dog's muzzle. And in some ways, it's very convenient to have both the halter and the leash all-in-one. The only drawback with the EZ Halter is that it can be a bit challenging to put on, especially if your dog is being squirrelly. For example, when it's time to leave the dog park. What I've started doing is just looping one end through Cabana's flat collar, then walking a little ways away from any distractions. Then, she's calmer and more tolerant of my fumbling and bumbling to get it onto her properly.

If you are interested, you can purchase an EZ Halter and Leash here. I was too cheap to buy one, though, and just made my own. But I might break down and buy one yet because my webbing is just not as soft as the original. I'm waiting, though, because this Family Dog I class is SUPPOSED to teach us to walk with a loose leash using just a flat collar, in which case I won't need this EZ halter. We'll see....

Heather and Kelly  – (June 9, 2010 at 7:38 AM)  

I've never seen the EZ leash! Interesting....I should check it out. It does look quite easy (EZ?) to make though. I've thought about making GLs, except for that one special adjuster for the nose loop--I have no idea where to find one of those. But other than that it wouldn't be too hard. Plus, it's really fun making your own equipment for your dog! Fancy collars and leashes are quite easy to make, and come out a lot cheaper than buying them at doggy boutiques....

Anna  – (June 9, 2010 at 7:38 AM)  

The EZ halters are the best! I didn't know what they were called, but but that's the only kind of headcollar they use at campus! They're so nice and never make the dog's eyes look funny either (as the GL is prone to do), and unlike the GL/Halti which it seems that some dogs fit one or the other better, this one just fits all so well!

JacksDad  – (June 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM)  

I have the EZ halter for Jack. He does pretty well on it, but he doesn't like to wear it. But it does help a lot with pulling!

Lauren  – (June 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM)  

The other day when Don went to the kennels, they put one of those collars on. Sounds like they work quite well! The EZ halters must be great with the soft fabric. I had to glue a piece of moleskin fabric to Don's GL to make it softer.

That's a cute picture of Cabana! I love MHS! They have the best dog park there, too.

Dexter  – (June 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM)  

I am glad you like your new easy walk thing. I will stick with my sports bra. I think those nose things do not work so well on doggies with relatively short snooters such as myself.

Hey, I think that she was a very good doggie to wait so patiently for you and not get all tangled up like some insane labradogs would.

Slobbers,
Mango

Becky Andrews  – (June 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM)  

Not that you need an excuse for not blogging, but it sounds like you had a very busy week! Love the description of Cabana sitting outside waiting for you :D

Sierra Rose  – (June 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM)  

Love the MHS!! We have a reunion class coming up from our Town and Trail series... AND, we are doing Whinnies and Woofies this Wednesday...doggies behaving around horsies! If you are interested, they may still have room....it's at the Fairfax stables Wed am. w/ Annie Black.
I sometimes wear the Ez collar without it being attached...often will take me down a notch :)
Great post!!!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP